Why cook seasonally? Microwave Cookbook published.
A microwave is a very energy efficient and low cost appliance that can produce healthy food quickly. The contents of this recipe book are organised by season so you can see and use what is available at different times of the year.
The aim of Quick and Easy Microwave Cooking is to help people live a healthier and more sustainable lifestyle and save money.
If you use the Growing Middlesbrough website www.growingmiddlesbrough.org.uk you can also source locally produced ingredients.
Eating fruit and vegetables that are in season is a good idea because:
- They will have travelled fewer miles therefore saving energy and CO2 emissions.
- They have been grown in this country so will be fresher.
- Food grown here helps to support our farming and food growing communities sustaining jobs and local business.
- They will taste better and have a greater nutritional value.
- It helps us understand the seasonal cycle and encourages greater variety in our use of ingredients throughout the year.
Whether you buy from a local shop or a supermarket, food sold in the EU must be labelled to show where it has come from. If in any doubt, look for the Union Jack flag that tells you it has been grown in this country. Additional information about the quality and origin of the food that we buy is provided by other labels, a number of which are shown on page 60. It is useful to be familiar with these when you go shopping so you know what you are buying.